Abby's Hands


Left Hand




Right Hand

On Sunday March thirteenth I spent the entire day with my fingers taped together so that I might be able to see what it was like to have hands like my little sister.
It was very interesting and very challenging. She, at just about two, is far more skilled then I. I was slow and clumsy and caught myself avoiding certain tasks simply because I knew they would be difficult to attempt.
The idea to do this, all started after I watched her one morning trying, with much difficulty, to put together one of those wooden puzzles for kids. The pieces were constantly twisting and she struggled to pinch the little plastic peg. I decided then that I would dedicate a day to see what it was like. And as my dad told Abby at dinner, that night of the thirteenth, I’m now her biggest fan.
To anyone who’s missing fingers, hands, arms, etc, know that what you may lack does not make you less but far greater! The Lord made all of us just how He needed us to be. Abby has never known any different and she will be able to learn and adapt a lifestyle that will work, I have no doubt.
By the end of the day I was very ready to take the tape off, for unlike Abby who knows no different, I could not convince my brain that I only had three fingers to use instead of ten! The slight physical and mental distress this limitation caused made me begin to think about Jesus.
He taped His fingers together for us. He left all the majesty of heaven to bear the limiting flesh and bones of man. He voluntarily subjected Himself to this human body that: can only walk so fast, gets sore after doing so and has an endless need to eat and sleep. I won’t ever dare say I know what it’s like to be Lil Sis, but Jesus does know what it’s like to be us. And He can understand the struggle created by physical limitations. I never knew I was considered “Special Needs” until my parents started adopting from China. But it’s because of my own  “Special Need” that I have great hope for my little sisters. For instead of limiting me, as it seems it could have, the Lord has used it in my life to bring me to a deeper relationship with Him and I would never trade that for a perfect physical body.
Like I said before, I won’t dare say I know what it’s like to be Abby, but I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to try it, if only to bring me to a greater appreciation and understanding for who she is. I LOVE YOU Abby!!!
I let myself use the last 2 fingers on my left hand and the last 2 fingers and thumb on my right hand. (Abby is naturally left handed and I'm right handed to I swapped what hand was going to get the thumb.)




Comments

  1. AMEN and HALLELUJAH!!

    Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! Rom. 11:33

    Although a sinner does evil a hundred times and may lengthen his life, still I know that it will be well for those who fear God, who fear Him openly. Eccl. 8:12

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Your Biggest Fan!

The Secret Lies with Charlotte