When Donkey's Talk

           
Now most of us have heard the story in the Bible about the talking donkey. But have you ever really looked at it? I did recently as I was preparing to do a Bible lesson on it for the kids. The complete story is found in Numbers 22-24, but I’ll give you the short version. Israel was wondering around the wilderness in their 40 year punishment, and they stopped and camped in the plains of Moab. Now the Moabites were really afraid of Israel because (unlike the Israelites) they still remembered all that God had done for them in Egypt and the strength that had been given them to defeat their enemies. So Balak, the king of Moab called for a man named Balaam who knew the Lord and was known for his ability to bless and curse people. Balak of course calls Balaam over to curse Israel so that he will be able to defeat them in battle. Well the story continues and at first God tells Balaam not to go to the king: “You shall not go with them; you shall not curse the people, for they are blessed.”  Balak then sends more men to ask Balaam to come again and they offer Balaam great honor. This time God says that Balaam can go but apparently Balaam’s heart was not quite right and God gets mad at him and sends his angel with a drawn sword to stop him. It’s then that his donkey runs off the road into a field, smashes Balaam’s foot into a wall, and finally lies down. He beats her these three times and the donkey asks him why. (Stop! I love this part! The bible states things so casually, a donkey starts talking to a guy and it doesn’t say he screamed or ran away he just answers her! ) “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”  Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now.” (Wouldn’t want to be that guy’s donkey!) Balaam’s eyes are then opened and he sees the angel and repents of his sin, asking if he should continue on his journey, God says he can go but only the words which he’s given can he speak. When Balaam arrives Balak asks him to curse Israel four separate times and each time Balaam instead must bless them.
Now I was truly amazed as I read these four blessings. Especially when I saw Number’s 23: 21 “He [God] has not observed iniquity in Jacob, Nor has He seen wickedness in Israel.  The LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a King is among them. What!?! He has not observed iniquity in Jacob? Or wickedness in Israel? They’re in the middle of their 40 year PUNISHMENT! They’ve griped, wined, fought authority, and refused to enter the Promise land!!! And yet He says: you shall not curse the people, for they are blessed. WHY??? I remember reading and hearing about the Israelites when I was young and thinking “What dummies.” The Lord did all kinds of neat stuff for them and they always forgot. As I’ve gotten older I’ve begun to see the similarities between that nation and myself. “Way to go Dummy! You’re acting just like them!” The Lord’s done all kinds of neat stuff for you and you always forget! And yet the Lord says: Do not curse her, for she is blessed. Why? Because “…the shout of a King, is among them.”
Israel was a mess, but from that stable of a people, God was going to bring forth His Son Jesus. He could see beyond the moment of what was, to what would be. God is the perfect parent, kids can frustrate you in a moment, but if you step back and look at where they’ve come from and where they’re headed you can’t help but marvel. So even though I’m no better than an old stable, smelly donkey or rebellious nation, I have been blessed with the opportunity to know the presence of the King inside of me. No matter how unworthy I feel I have the promise from Numbers 22:19-20, “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it.
The Lord is not limited on who and what he can use, stables or donnkeys. Like Don Francisco said:
"When the Lord starts using you, don’t you pay it any mind, He could have used the dog next door if He’d been so inclined."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte