Blackout

Last night I was sitting in my room listening to some music and writing an e-mail to a friend when all of sudden there was a loud beep and everything instantly went silent and dark. I waited a few seconds in expectation of the second beep that would announce the return of the power but it didn’t happen. After a minute of waiting I decided to go upstairs and have a snack assuming the power would be on soon. I didn’t know it but it would be over an hour before the power would be restored and in the mean time I was forced to try and do my nightly routine in the dark with a flashlight. I then just went to bed for there really is little that can be done in the dark with no power!
As usual though, this strange situation caused me to ask the Lord in my dark and silent room, “What can we learn from this?”
I then considered what we’d lost: Light and Power. Who do I know that’s light?

Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
John 8:12

And where’s the power?

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Acts 1:8

When you live with the Light and Power in your life you become used to it. Not necessarily ungrateful for it, just use to its dependable presents.
As I sat in my room last night I thought about how useless the house had suddenly become. It was full of things that had the potential of being useful but a computer, refrigerator, or dryer are worthless without electricity. Their value lies in the power that makes them run.
Life without Jesus is like a house without electricity. It’s dark and powerless.
All that can be done there is sleeping and dreaming. Dreaming about what life could be like.
I was lying in my bed still awake last night when the second beep finally came and a light turned on in the other room along with the humidifier and air conditioner. I smiled with delight to have gotten back the things that made the house homey and familiar.
I think of all the blacked out houses there are in the world and it’s sad, but I also must remember that everyone has a free choice. We all get to choose if we will allow the Light and Power into our lives. You may be nodding along while thinking good analogy yet I already have Jesus, but have you shut off the circuit breakers? Do you have Power and Light in every room of your house? For its not just unbelievers who live in dark houses. We as believers can shut off rooms by refusing to let the Lord in. So let Him show you the rooms that have been darkened and allow the Light and Power of Christ to fill them! Don’t just be a house full of potential, be useful!

14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
Matthew 5:14-15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte