You Shut the Mouths of Lions!



The only power we have is the power to choose. We in ourselves cannot execute the actions that follow, but our choices can either open us up to the Holy Spirits power to walk this life through us, or we can cut that power off. One choice.
The story of Daniel in the Lion’s Den is a classic Sunday school lesson. I was taught it, I’ve read it, and I’ve taught it to my siblings. But today, I saw this story in an entirely new way.
MercyMe’s new cd The Hurt and the Healer, has become the top music choice in our house. That cd has over taken every cd player and ipod from the cars to the garage. While running errands today, I skipped to my new favorite song You Are I Am. I listened and sang along until one line in the chorus stuck out so much louder than the others.

You're the One who conquers giants.
You're the One who calls out kings.
You shut the mouths of lions…

I knew they were referencing the familiar story in Daniel 6 but as I listened I was reminded of a verse:

 Be sober, be vigilant; because[a] your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
1 Peter 5:8

Then I thought of John 8:44 that says the devil is the liar and father of it.
Sadly, I relate very well with the song mentioned above.


You Are I Am
By MercyMe

I’ve been the one, to shake with fear. And wonder if, you’re even here.
I’ve been the one, to doubt Your love. I’ve told myself, You’re not enough.
I’ve been the one, to try and say, I’ll overcome by my own strength.
I’ve been the one, to fall apart, and start to question who You are.

You're the One who conquers giants.
You're the One who calls out kings.
You shut the mouths of lions.
You tell the dead to breathe.
You're the One who walks through fire.
You take the orphan's hand.
You are the One Messiah.
You are I Am!

I’ve been the one, held down in chains. Beneath the weight of all my shame.
I’ve been the one, to believe. That where I am, You cannot reach:

You're the One who conquers giants.
You're the One who calls out kings.
You shut the mouths of lions.
You tell the dead to breathe.
You're the One who walks through fire.
You take the orphan's hand.
You are the One Messiah.
You are I Am!

I’ve been that one. The one, who fell for the devouring lion’s roaring lies. Who believed that the One who saved my life was out to destroy it.
We don’t end up in the lion’s den because we are disobedient and sinful. Daniel was thrown in because he was obedient and faithful to his God.
Yet, why does Daniel come out unscathed, and I end up a chewed pulp?
The secret is found in Daniel 6:23

…So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no injury whatever was found on him, because he believed in his God.

Because he BELIEVED IN HIS GOD!
No matter how faithful, no matter how obedient, no matter how committed we are to the Lord there will still be days we find ourselves in the dark lions’ den. Surrounded by the lies that are out to eat us alive. We aren’t victims, we have a choice. Will we choose to believe the roaring chaos that is so very present before us? Or will we choose to believe the One who is called Faithful and True?
We only have one power. The power to choose, and when we choose to believe our God, we allow His power to work in our lives and He can reach out His mighty hand and SHUT THE MOUTHS OF LIONS!

The veil is torn. And now I live, with the Spirit inside.
The same One, the very same One, who brought the Son, back to life!
Hallelujah He lives in me!
Hallelujah He lives in me!

He still is…

…the One who conquers giants.
…the One who calls out kings.
…the One who shuts the mouths of lions.
…the One who tells the dead to breathe.
…the One who walks through fire.
…the One who takes the orphan's hand.
…the One Messiah.
…He is the I Am!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte