Socks



  So the other day I went out on some errands and one of the things on my list was socks. I went to Super Tar*get (and tried not to get lost!) When I got to the socks I was disappointed to discover that the brand I wear was out. On my way home I decided to go over to the “Plain Old” Tar*get, since that’s where I usually get my socks anyway. I go in, get to the socks to find that, they don’t have my size. I was a little more annoyed this time. How could this huge store full of stuff not have the one item I want? I went home and told my mom the disappointing news. She suggested going to Tar*get. com and buying them there since my need wasn’t urgent. I figured that would be alright, so I went on my computer looked up Tar*get and started to scroll though the socks. And would you believe it? They don’t carry my brand of socks online. By this point I wasn’t mad anymore and considered what one might learn from not finding socks.
  There are many things in life that seem to be far more important than socks. There are “needs” in life that seem far more pressing than socks.
  There’s been a Need lately that’s been continuously knocked for, yet every time the door opens, the same voice seems to say “I’m sorry, but we can’t help you.” Today this Need was once again confronted with this same reply and I was devastated. How can everywhere we turn be empty? We NEED this! As my mind floundered for understanding, the Lord reminded me of the socks I couldn’t find. Then He brought to mind Matthew 6:25-33

25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

  The Lord pressed upon my heart to consider if there has ever been a time I didn’t have socks to wear. No, I couldn’t remember a time when I didn’t have a pair of socks to put on. The stores were all out, yet I was still wearing socks. Then I had to consider those “needs”. The ones we see as more important than socks, the ones we put a capital N in front of so that the Lord knows they’re a real Need. When have those “Needs” ever stopped the Lord’s plan? Hmmm… well… I don’t know.

33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

  He promised. As we seek first His Kingdom and His Righteousness all these other things will be taken care of.
  I’m not worried about Tar*get getting in my socks. Yet I struggled today because our Need met another empty shelf. …your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. He knows our Needs, He has not forgotten us. And even when every door is shut, every store is closed, and every shelf is empty, I can still see His faithfulness, by simply looking down at my socks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte