Wingman



The traditional military definition of a "Wingman" refers to the pattern in which fighter jets fly. There is always a lead aircraft and another which flies off the right wing of and behind the lead. This second pilot is called the "Wingman" because he or she primarily protects the lead by "watching his back." –USAF

Wingman
By Rachel L. Peterson
Intercession

Dawn of the day my restless feet paced for.
Cool of the morning brushes my face and I am ready.
This mission has been set and prepared for and I step forth.
To my plane I walk with authority and eager hands steady.

The brightness of heaven kisses the cloudless blue above.
I start down the runway, with the sound of building power.
In a weightless surge, I lift up off the ground and fly.
I press upward; leaving earth of fear, there is no place to cower.

I come into formation with you, staying back in position.
I follow behind you with shaking thunder and remain on the right.
I scan the skies for the dogs that come hunting for you.
Unless you release me, I never leave your side in this fight.

Two on the attack, we hold the offensive unmatched.
I’ve flown in this position before, and every maneuver will stan[d].
You have been placed as the leader, and I am honored to fly here.
For what greater call can there be, then to be your wingman.

Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
Ecclesiasts 4:9-10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte