Semper Fi



Why do I do this? How many times have I asked myself that question? How many times have you asked yourself that question? Filled with great passion and the Lord’s nod to go ahead I embarked on this amazing adventure of ministry the Lord laid before me, and I seem to have found little. I was obedient. Why didn’t I find success?
The other night, as my passionate efforts again took another blow of negative and deflating response, I brought my disappointment to the Lord and He reminded me of two simple words: Semper Fi.
The motto of the United States Marine Corp is Semper Fi. It means Always Faithful.
What are our standards for success? We’ve been taught well, profit, prominence, everything going smoothly, etc. Thus when you achieve none of these you think perhaps I should pack my bags and go home. But just as you pull out your suitcase the Lord asks you.
Where are you going?
Home, I failed.
No you didn’t. You did just what I asked.
But it went terrible! I spent more money than I made, no one has any idea who I am or what I’m doing, and the whole thing looked like a disaster!
But you were obedient.
In the Kingdom of Heaven success is measured by a different standard. Obedience. But sometimes obedience is a hard thing to have a victory dance over. We would much rather give up, but it’s then that we need to remember the Marines. Semper Fi!

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:
Philippians 1:6

I love that promise! But what about me? Aren’t we supposed to be like Christ? …he which hath begun a good work… will perform it…
I recently watched a show all about the Medal of Honor; the highest military decoration in our country. But what about all the acts “above and beyond the call of duty” that no one witnessed? That no one ever brought forth? I’m sure men gave their lives in such acts of selflessness and were never awarded that medal. Does that make their sacrifice any less?
We don’t always know the effect that we are having, and it’s hard to not judge our success by results. Yet, this race of faith requires endurance.

For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:
Hebrews 10:36

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares [us], and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of [our] faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.
Hebrews 12:1-3

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Galatians 6:9

Success in the worldly standard may or may not ever come for me. The Lord has used these disappointing situations in my life to show me, that it doesn’t matter. I am seeing that it is a greater gain to be known as Semper Fi in obedience.
So I encourage you. Be like the Marines! For what you are doing, is more than what you are seeing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte