A Star in the Sidewalk

(July 15th, 2013)

Today I visited Hollywood for the first time. You hear a lot about Hollywood and all the sights. I got to see the large theaters, flashy signs and lights, the hand and foot prints forever captured in the sidewalk in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, and I got to stroll down the walk of fame.
As we explored the surroundings I passed over the many stars in the sidewalk, reading the names, and Revelation 21:21 came to mind. "...and the street of the city was pure gold..."
In our world gold is one of the most valuable things there is, but in heaven it is just pavement for the street.
Fame like gold, is one of the most desired things in our culture. People live and die to be known.
So I found the situation a little ironic. All those stars were just pavement under my feet.
All their recognition and fame was as valuable as the sidewalk we were standing on.
Our worth doesn't lie in the things we can achieve in the name of ourselves.
Our worth is in Jesus Christ, and His name upon us. We have no value apart from Him.
When I got back to my friends home I looked up Revelation 21:21 and found it also said this, "...and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass..."
In Webster's dictionary Transparent means: transmitting light rays so that objects on the other side may be distinctly seen.
We in ourselves are as valuable as the pavement in a sidewalk, but when we give our worthlessness to the Lord He changes us. We shimmer like gold, but we are as transparent as glass, showing forth His glory.
I could get a star in the sidewalk and everyone would know my name. But I gave up my name for His name, because I was made to be a window, that when others look through me they see the Father's heart.

The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light.
Revelation 21:23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte