Drive Thru Bible Lesson



A few weeks ago my dad asked me if I'd watch the kids. I said I would and right away one of the kids asked me if we could do a Bible lesson. Bible lesson?!? I don't have anything prepared. And I'm out of new Bible DVDs too! I gave one of those half-hearted maybes until Joseph came down and heard about the "possible" Bible lesson. 
His response was something like "I was hoping we could do a Bible lesson sometime."
How could I not? These children are hungry for the Word, how could I send them away empty?
So I quickly tried to think up a story to teach on. Of course as often happens when you try and rush your brain you draw a blank. Bible story? Do I know any Bible stories? Yes! Yes! You know the Bible! Just think!
Well I decided to teach on the story of the Pearl, and I knew there was a video that would go with it. But what about a craft? They love the craft and would be a bit disappointed if there wasn't one. 
So there I was, standing in the kitchen, leaning up against the sink staring off at the microwave. Craft, a pearl craft.
As I was standing there Abby walked in. Then hugging against my legs she asked, "Can we do a project or a craft?" 
I gave her a distracted "Maybe" and continued to try and think of a good craft for my lesson. Then Alexis walked in and the two girls begin to discuss things. 
After a minute, Alexis interrupted my thinking and stated. "Abby and I talked about if we wanted to do a craft or a project. We decided we want to do both," she concluded with a smile and inwardly I just had to laugh!
"Okay." 
Well in about 5-10 minutes I had a lesson put together. I was pleased. 
That night my dad asked me if I would watch the children again the next day. I said I would and figured I was in the clear for having to think up another Bible lesson since we had just done one. WRONG! 
The next morning Lindsey said "Can we do another Bible lesson? I love Bible lesson."
How could I not? These children are hungry for the Word, how could I send them away empty?
Bible story? Do I know any Bible stories? Yes! Yes! You know the Bible! Just think!
This time I decided to teach on Jesus' entry into Jerusalem. 
I was again pleased at the lesson, but by far the most rewarding moment of the Bible lesson didn't have anything to do with me and my speed lesson planning. 
We were watching the Bible show and they showed the towns people dragging Jesus out to try and throw him over the cliff. 

 So all those in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
and rose up and thrust Him out of the city; and they led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw Him down over the cliff.
Then passing through the midst of them, He went His way.
Luke 4:28-30

When this part had passed Abby looked over and asked, "Did that really happen?" 
And before I could answer Joseph looked over and said, "Yes, they really drug him out and tried to push Him off the cliff, but He walked away." Then in awe he added, "It was amazing."

Even when you feel like what you are doing is inadequate you can never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit. I don't teach Bible lesson nearly as often as I would like to, and I don't have nearly as much time to prepare my lessons as I would like! But somehow He has taken these few loaves and fish that I have to offer and has multiplied them! The Word of God is living and active, and He has taken those few stories and planted a love in their hearts for His Truth. 
I don't know if I'm the one who taught Joseph that story from Luke, because he reads his own Bible now and I'm sure he finds all kinds of stories I never taught him.
All of them love to read and look at their Bibles, but not because of what I did, but because of what He did.
We scatter the seed and He brings the increase.

Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness,
2 Corinthians 9:10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte