To Leave with the Spear and Water


So David and Abishai came to the people by night; and there Saul lay sleeping within the camp, with his spear stuck in the ground by his head. And Abner and the people lay all around him.
Then Abishai said to David, “God has delivered your enemy into your hand this day. Now therefore, please, let me strike him at once with the spear, right to the earth; and I will not have to strike him a second time!”
But David said to Abishai, “Do not destroy him; for who can stretch out his hand against the LORD’s anointed, and be guiltless?”
David said furthermore, “As the LORD lives, the LORD shall strike him, or his day shall come to die, or he shall go out to battle and perish.
“The LORD forbid that I should stretch out my hand against the LORD’s anointed. But please, take now the spear and the jug of water that are by his head, and let us go.”
So David took the spear and the jug of water by Saul’s head, and they got away; and no man saw or knew it or awoke. For they were all asleep, because a deep sleep from the LORD had fallen on them.
1 Samuel 26:7-12

About a month ago the Lord opened up a ministry opportunity for me, but there was going to be a few weeks before things would really begin.
After the few weeks had passed the situation seemed to stop moving. The door didn’t really close, but there was no more forward motion. Another person needed to make the first move and they weren’t moving.
When I get ready for work in the morning I listen to my audio Bible and I’ve recently been listening to 1 Samuel.
Now I haven’t actually made it to 1 Samuel 26, but I’ve read 1 Samuel enough times to know it’s coming and the Lord brought it to my remembrance as I thought about the situation I was in.
The Lord chose me, and created me for His purposes. And He has promised to establish His plans for my life.
In the beginning of 1 Samuel, the children of Israel cry out for a king, and the Lord tells the prophet Samuel to not be offended because the people had not rejected him, but the Lord.
The Lord was their King, but they wanted another.
Unlike Israel, I chose the Lord to be my King and He has shown Himself to be faithful in my life.
Still I had a choice, as I stood there with Saul sleeping at my feet.
The opportunity was open wide for David, Saul was sleeping right at his feet and he could have taken the matter into his own hands, just as I could. But he didn’t.
He left his life in the Lord’s hands that day.
But when he departed David took with him two things: a spear and water.
When I read that I asked the Lord what was the significance of those two things?
They are life.
In battle you will not survive long without water and weaponry.
At times we find ourselves in the situation where we could try and take control, but what will we gain?
Instead of killing Saul and leaving that place with death, David left that place with life.

So do not lose heart, and stretch not your hand out against Saul, for the Lord who has made the promise to you WILL be the one to establish it. And if you leave the matter in His hands, you will have life, abundant life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte