A Ministry

There are certain topics people don't talk about. Most socially aware people know which ones they are and just don't bring them up. Still there is truth to be shared about some of these topics and... well... here we go!
Dying isn't something people like to think about, some people are forced to face this sharp and painful reality but for the most part we try and stay on lighter subjects. Why talk about it now?
Well a few months ago my mom was giving me an update on her friend who is battling cancer. She told me the situation and I just thought the whole thing seemed very sad. I considered my mom and all the Lord has her doing for His Kingdom in raising my siblings and then I thought about this poor woman of similar age who is battling for her life. It seemed like such a waste of life and I shared these thoughts with the Lord. Then He gave me a simple but profound response. "It's a ministry."
What? Being sick a ministry?
In our American culture there is an obsession with health. There's a medical clinic on every corner, pink ribbons on all the boxes at the grocery store, and a lot of information about preventative medicine.
You've all heard it. The top seven foods one should eat to live longer! (You notice they never pick any normal foods) Like apples, or raisins, everyone has access to raisins, but no, they have to pick things like pomegranate! Has anyone opened one of those things! How do you know where to start eating?
Then in our search for the key to long life we read the verse in Deuteronomy that says if you honor your father and your mother you'll live long on the earth. I got it! If I honor my parents and eat a handful of blueberries everyday I'll live forever!
But wait? What about my mom's friend? I don't think having or having not eaten blueberries everyday brought her to this place. It's a ministry. She has a platform for the Gospel and glory of Christ. A host of sympathizers, doctors, and nurses have come forth to comfort and treat her, but she has the opportunity to give them something far greater than they could ever give her. Hope, the promise of eternity with Christ, and a life that shines brighter than her weak physical body.
At one point or another everyone has to confront the fear of death. Still even though I'd done that, I found I had a little list. "Lord I don't mind dying, being with You will be great, but here's my little list of ways I'd rather not take in order to get to You..."
What do I care? If I've completed all He had for me here, and I'm leaving anyway, why wouldn't I want to go as I lived? In whatever way will bring Him the most glory, turn the most hearts to His Gospel!
Well this subject poked my heart in another way. If I have fallen prey to this culture that tells me to preserve myself, are there other areas I have not opened up for fear of suffering?
I read a story this morning about a couple who adopted a precious 5 year old little girl from China who has an extremely severe heart condition, with no visible cure. The father is MaryBeth Chapman's brother. This couple has gone through the tragic loss of their niece Maria Chapman and still, here they are facing a pain they have lived in order to give this little girl a home, a family, the love of Christ.
This little girl was not born to them, they did not have to enter into this suffering, but they CHOSE to!
The Lord will choose how I die, but I get to choose how I live.

Seven Scriptures for Longer Greater Living! 

1.) "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death into life.
John 5:24

2.) "Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."
John 6:27

3.) For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Galatians 6:8

4.) However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.
1 Timothy 1:16

5.) For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:24

6.) Yes, and all who desires to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
2 Timothy 3:12

7.) And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Chirst.
Colossians 3:23-24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte