The Bible Desk


For the Word of God is living and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

This was our key verse today in the kid's Bible lesson. We studied about Jesus being tempted by the Devil in the wilderness and how Jesus used the Word to defeat the enemy.
Recently I was reading a book and the author shared how she always had a Bible desk. This was a new concept to me, having a whole piece of furniture used solely for your Bible. She'd keep several translations of the Bible, a concordance, study books and a cup of pens on her Bible desk. 
She felt as a busy mother, if she had to clear a spot somewhere to open her Bible her study time would be put off. Yet if her Bible was always open and waiting, when she had a pause in the chaos of her day she could sit down for a few minutes to take in His Word.
I liked this idea and decided to try it the other day while watching the kids.
I opened my Bible and lay it on top of the entertainment center next to my Bible concordance. 
As I passed by it in the busyness of feeding and caring for six children I would grab a verse to meditate on. 
While I heated bowls of soup for lunch I could take in Psalm 34:19

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
But the Lord delivers him out of them all.

When I could grab another minute I went to my concordance and looked up the word "delivers" to see it's true meaning.
When I first read about this woman's Bible desk I thought, I guess people needed to do that back then before these days of internet, ipads, and Blue Letter Bible. 
I reconsidered that thought. If a busy woman has to clear a spot for her Bible she may put off reading it, but if she has to go on to her computer and look up the verses on Blue Letter Bible she may put it off as well.
The Word is full of promises, refreshing, and weapons. Sure I have many verses memorized and ready for use at any moment, but I want more! 
When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness He didn't have to pull out his ipad and go to Blue Letter Bible so He could type in some keywords in hopes of finding a fitting verse! 
He knew it! Because He was it! 
When those tempting lies come, I want to KNOW my weapons! When I'm at the point of exhaustion and the last straw has been laid on the camels back I want to KNOW the source of my strength! 
Yesterday I was praying for someone who wasn't feeling well. What did I pray for her? Psalm 34:19 Lord you promised to deliver: (to snatch away, defend, without fail, pluck, preserve, recover, rescue, save.) the righteous from their many afflictions. I want to KNOW the promises made to me!
I made that cute little sword craft with the kids this morning, but these simple lessons we teach to our children are the same lessons we need to learn, to remember, to practice. Because... the Word of God is living and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte