What I Failed to Remember


I'm a fairly very intense person, who finds great joy in being extremely efficient. Yet, I'm also a multitasker! This exciting combination of things can leave my brain falling behind some days! And then I find myself more scattered than organized. I've often thought, If I could just focus this intense efficiency on ONE thing at a time, wouldn't I be more effective?
Today, I went over to the store to pick up a few things. As you always do when going to a popular store, I asked my mom if she needed anything there. She gave me a small list of groceries and I tucked it in my pocket.
I parked in my usual section of the parking lot and went inside. I found the things I needed and then had to wait around a few minutes for assistance in a department. I hadn't gotten a cart or a basket and my hands were full, thus when I got this last item I checked out at a back register and headed for the door. I knew I hadn't been very efficient but I was done just the same. Getting in the car, I pulled out and started to drive away. I had only made it a short distance when I suddenly realized I hadn't gotten anything on my mom's list! I laughed out loud and turned around the first chance I could get. I had asked for a list from her and I certainly couldn't just go home without the items!
Since all I needed was groceries I parked on the opposite end of the parking lot. As I got out I began to have that same old conversation with the Lord.
"I'm so scattered. If I could somehow focus this intensity in one direction at a time I could be much more efficient." 
As I walked up the sidewalk I spotted a "good" cart (It was a newer one) just as a car pulled in by it. I was going to need a cart so I stopped and grabbed it. Just as I did the person in the car honked their horn at me. I looked up to see a little elderly lady in the car and she started to talk to me from her open car door. I walked over to see what her need was. She very kindly asked me if I could bring that "basket" (cart) over to her car because she had broken her hip and couldn't walk [without support]. 
Of course I said I would and carefully drug the cart down the curb and over to her car to a place she said could get to it. 
I returned to the sidewalk and grabbed the next cart on my way to the store. When I got inside I resumed my conversation with the Lord and said "Never mind!" 
What if I had "efficiently" focused on my shopping and had gotten everything on the list the first time? I would have been long gone. 
No, the Lord allowed my mind to scatter, He allowed me to forget, so He could intentionally send me back. He let my fine taste for shopping carts lead me to the nicest one so that she could have the very best.
I got my groceries and made sure the lady made it into the store before I left for a second time. 
Sometimes I need these reminders, that His ways are MUCH higher than mine, and that being effective isn't always being efficient. 

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD.
Isaiah 55:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte