Not Just a Mom

This post is dedicated to all the future housewives and mommies out there. 

For all of you who are nearing high school graduation or have just graduated know that the question on everyone's lips is: "What are you going to do after high school? Are you going to college? What would you like to do in your life?"
Now for those of you going to college this may be an easy answer. You smile, hold your head high, and answer with confidence, "Yes I'm going to school to study..."
I always dreaded this question. Was I going to college? No. *lower head*  Did I have a career path in mind? No. *gulp* What do you want to do? *quiet voice* Umm, just be a wife and a mom. 
I got a lot of funny looks about this answer and I was so glad when I got beyond the ages when everyone asked me about my future plans!
Still even when the questions stopped coming from people, they raged on in my mind. What if Mr. Right doesn't come? What if he doesn't come until I'm 30!!! Maybe I should go to school just in case. And every year that goes by you feel more and more foolish. You told everyone you wanted to be a wife and a mother and now here you are still single with no plan B. 

"Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord." 
Luke 1:45

And therefore will the LORD wait, that He may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that He may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a God of judgement: blessed are all they that wait for Him.
Isaiah 30:18

Today I was at work and the customer came to the room I was in and asked "Do you remember me?" Gulp. I only smiled as he continued. "You did a job oh maybe 9 or 10 years ago on blank street for an elderly couple." Nope didn't remember him but assumed the elderly couple must have been his parents. He didn't seem to mind my lack of answer and kept on talking. "I didn't want to scare you [by knowing this] but you were home schooled right?" I gave a smiling yes. "And you said you wanted to be..." (for some reason he drew this question out!) "A wife and a mom and I was just wondering if you have attained to that yet?" I smiled and replied "No, not yet." He wasn't done and said, "Oh I was just so impressed by your wanting to do that." 
What?!? 10 years?!? And he still remembered. I didn't remember him, had nothing new to share about my future dream, and yet to this day he was still impressed. 
I would never be foolish enough to say "just a mom", yet for years I shared my future plans with that kind of head hanging shame. While my peers went off to college I just wanted to be a wife and a mother. 
THERE'S NO SHAME IN JUST BEING A HOUSEWIFE! and THERE'S NO SHAME IN JUST BEING A MOM! 
So for those future housewives and mommies out there, don't buy the lie that you haven't done anything yet because you're still single. You don't know who's listening, who's watching, and who will remember you. 
After the conversation with the customer I thought for a moment that it was a little sad I couldn't say I was married and had children, but in that moment the Lord pointed out the truth. If you had been married with children you wouldn't have been here today to impress him twice. And who's to say that the second appearance isn't more impressive than the first? 
In this fast paced day and age people aren't willing to wait. 
The other day I was at the store with Lindsey who was shopping for one of my other little siblings. They wanted a character toy but the selection was low. I asked Lindsey which one they really wanted and it was one the store didn't have. So I asked why we couldn't just check for the specific character online and order it? Lindsey replied simply. "Name, doesn't like to wait that long." 
I want to be found willing to wait. To wait for His timing, His answer, His plans to unfold. 
But this isn't "waiting" as in camping out with my life on hold, NO! This is trusting Him enough to live with abandon to all He's given me right here, while I'm waiting. This is being so full of Him that I leave an impression on everyone I meet by the way I'm waiting!
I think about my 7 little siblings and want them to know He is trustworthy, faithful, exceptionally GOOD!!! And I want them to know He's worth waiting for. I want YOU to know He's worth waiting for!

While I'm Waiting
By John Waller

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I am hopeful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it's painful, but patiently I will wait

And I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting I will serve You
While I'm waiting I will worship
While I'm waiting I will not faint
I'll be running the race even while I wait

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I am peaceful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it's not easy no, but faithfully I will wait
Yes, I will wait

And I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting I will serve You
While I'm waiting I will worship
While I'm waiting I will not faint
I'll be running the race even while I wait

I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
I will serve You while I'm waiting 
I will worship while I'm waiting 
I will not faint while I'm waiting 

It's not easy no, but it's worth it! Because my Lord and Savior is better than anything this life could offer me! 
"Dear Father may You be glorified in my waiting!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte