For He is Kind to the Unthankful...

"But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.
Luke 6:35

I recently purchased two gifts for two of my siblings. It wasn't a birthday or a holiday, I just saw these two stuffed animals at the store and knew they would LOVE them! 
When I gave the gifts to them my one sibling was simply delighted with the gift they had received but the other wasn't, showing through hinting words that they liked their siblings gift better than their own.
This was a rather disappointing response for me, since I had been certain they'd both love the items I'd picked out. Still I dealt with my disappointment and forgave them. 
Yet later I sought for the Lord to teach me as I felt sad for my second sibling. Instead of rejoicing in what they had received they had robbed themselves by not being thankful. 

How many times do I do the same thing? There are times when the Lord gives me things that aren't so fun. Like any parent there are times when what you're child needs most isn't always the most enjoyable. 
But there are a lot of times when parents are able to give wonderful blessings and gifts to their children. The Lord is a parent who delights in giving His children wonderful things, gifts He knows they will love! 

When the Lord gives me His gifts, am I thankful? Or do I look at what some else got and wish I had that? Or have even my own dreams and expectations caused me to not delight in the gift I've received? How much joy have I robbed myself of?

I could have gotten nothing. The Lord didn't have to give me anything just like I didn't have to buy my sibling anything. And in our human thinking there's a part of you that considers this fact. If they're not going to be thankful for the gifts I give, then maybe next time I'll just not get them anything. 
The Lord's not like that. 
I didn't buy my sibling a gift because they deserved it, or earned it. I got it for them simply because I love them. 

I'm not always thankful, I don't deserve anything, and could never earn anything, yet the Lord keeps giving to me because He loves me. 

I love my siblings as the Father has loved me, and yet I still struggle to understand Him. I'm living it out in front of my very own eyes!
When I read Luke 6:35 I think of me. I need to love my enemies, do good and lend hoping for nothing in return. If the Lord spoke these words then it is because He is these words. 

He loves His enemies,
He does good,
And He lends hoping for nothing in return.
For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.

He loves me, does good to me, lends to me hoping for nothing in return and is kind to me. I could have gotten nothing, but He chose to give to me and He NEVER goes back on His word. 

He'll never stop loving His enemies,
He'll never stop doing good,
He'll never require payment for what He has lent to me.
And He'll never stop being kind, though I remain unthankful and evil.

The little stuffed toy gift ended up with the name Sophie. I suggested it after looking at the animal for a while. Later, the name discussion was apparently not over and my mom suggested the name Sophie, (not knowing I had already suggested it earlier!) When my mom looked up the names meaning she found it meant: Wisdom. 
I had purchased the little stuffed animal out of love for my sibling and though I didn't receive the excited reaction I had expected, the Lord gave me wisdom instead. 
Tonight my sibling kissed me goodnight and thanked me for the stuffed animal. And I hope they will one day receive the wisdom that the Lord used their gift to give to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte