Sentiments of a Donkey

So today I was thinking about the many things we never pray for. I've asked the Lord for lots of things! It seems He should have PLENTY to do for the rest of my life answering all the things I've asked Him to do in me. But... I'm kind of a curious child and I don't want to miss out on anything the Lord has, so I keep looking around for more of Him.

Have you ever asked the Lord for His strength? I sure have! LOTS of times!
But... have you ever asked Him for His weakness?

Have you ever asked the Lord for His wisdom? I sure have! Almost every day!
But... have you ever asked Him for His foolishness?

Now what about Balaam? You remember him, the prophet from Numbers 22 whose donkey talked to him.
Well why don't we ever ask the Lord to make us like Balaam's donkey?

Think about it. Donkey's are the image of stubbornness, (much like us!) yet that donkey was more obedient and reverent to the Lord than the man riding upon her. Her mouth was more available to the Lord than Balaam's!

You could say that donkey was the foolishness of God, and the weakness of God. Yet in that moment that donkey, was wiser than men and in that moment that donkey was stronger than men.


Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1 Corinthians 1:25

I desire to have the Lord's wisdom, but perhaps I should long for His foolishness just as much.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I need the Lord's strength, but perhaps I need His weakness just as much.

But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
1 Corinthians 1:27

We try to impress God with our wisdom and righteousness; and we try to get Him to pick us because of our strength and importance but... He chooses the weak things, the foolish, the donkeys. And He uses them to bring to nothing the things that are. (1 Cor. 1:28)

Balaam seemed like a real somebody, but on that road the Lord used a base and despised donkey, to bring him to nothing. (1 Cor. 1:28)

I pray that I may know the depth of God's weakness, that I may be enlightened by His foolishness, and that I may be as useful to Him as Balaam's donkey was.

Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

Now if this blog post were a sermon, could you imagine the pastors closing statement?

"Now in closing on our study of Balaam I pray that the Lord would deeply convict our hearts with that donkey, and that we would seek Him to make us more like her."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte