Laying on the Threshold


One morning the other week I was watching my siblings and I let them play Play-doh. Such a messy activity is done in the garage and stretches three tables long! As it got closer to lunch I told the kids they needed to start cleaning up. After most of the toys had been put back in the bin, I brushed Benjamin (3) off and took him inside, knowing he wasn't likely to be very helpful in the sweeping up of the crumbs. I instructed him that he had to stay inside now and play. 
I had the garage door propped open so I could keep an eye on the clean up while working in the kitchen to prepare lunch. 
Benjamin found a toy and then headed for the garage door. I kept an eye on him but he did not go out. Instead he lay down on the rug and over the threshold. Then with his arms stretched out into the garage he played with his toy in the air. He knew he could not go out, but he longed to be with the other kids so much he got as close as he could!

I smiled at the cuteness and then in this innocent child's gesture saw the heart of the Father.

When a child lays on the threshold in this manner it's cute, and precious. But as adults we would never consider doing it. It would look foolish, silly, and we're "mature" enough to know that in a few minutes those other people will be inside. No, we would be in the other room working on something else. 
In our grown-up-ness, we assume the Lord is as we are. Very sophisticated, conscious of our appearance, and rational minded.

..."Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3

The Lord isn't worried about looking good or being misunderstood. He already knows His wisdom is foolishness to us and that His foolishness is wiser than us. 
Could the Creator of the universe have stooped any lower than to enter this world as a human being?
The day Jesus died on the cross the Father could have sat back on His throne and waited in sophistication knowing He would soon be reunited with us. 
Yet I greatly doubt that's what He did! I've been through enough adoption home comings to know no one sits in sophistication, most people can't sit at all! They jump around the room and look out the front window for the first sight of my parents and our new sibling. We all race with giddy excitement having hardly been able to choke down some supper for the delight that dances in our stomachs! Then the moment arrives... the door is thrown open and my parents can't hardly step in as they are encircled in hugs, laughter, and tears. The room overflows with the foolishness of God that is so very present in our hearts as His love and the gospel are physically being lived out in that beautiful moment. 

What do I think happened that day Christ died? I think the veil couldn't rip fast enough! That as Jesus hung there on the cross the Father was laying on the threshold, holding His arms out, longing for nothing more than to be with you. 
And He's still laying there today, longing and waiting for you to run into His arms and receive the love He has always had for you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte