The Epic Challenge

I will run the course of Your commandments,
For You shall enlarge my heart.
Psalm 119:32

One night I sat down and turned on PBS hoping to find an episode of Antiques Roadshow to watch. We have two PBS channels and that night neither one was playing Antiques Roadshow, so I picked what I thought was the lesser of the two dull choices, a Japanese race.

As I sat playing cards, I would glance up from time to time, just to frown and comment on how crazy these men were to be running in such harsh conditions. 
I didn't realize it then, but I was watching the annual Trans Japan Alps Race. This eight day race, that starts at the Sea of Japan and ends at the Pacific Ocean, is over 257 miles long, crossing three mountain ranges and peaks that exceed 9,800 ft. Each runner carries a pack with food, clothes, and a tent. 

After looking up to see these men traversing steep cliffs in dense fog and rain several times I began to see a strange parallel to my own walk with Christ. Maybe these men weren't as crazy as they seemed, pushing themselves beyond their physical ability, facing harsh elements, and battling fatigue. 

Finding this common ground in suffering, I was drawn in, specifically to one man's story. The oldest man in the race was 58. He had tried to run the race before, but had not made it to one of the many check points in time and was disqualified. He wept in anguish as he repeated to those standing by "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," They reached out to console him and told him he had done a good job, but he seemed to feel such guilt and shame.

This year he was back to try again and like the many others it pushed him beyond himself. Through driving rain, frightening winds, and cold, the runners all battled not only against one another but against themselves. Many of the men tried to sleep very little in hopes of getting ahead, but no matter how badly they wanted to so many of them said they just could not make their bodies go any faster. One man even fell asleep while standing up! 

Why did they run this race? There are no awards given at the end or prize money received. One man said if he won the race he would gain confidence, another man said he wanted to show his friends and co-workers that he was more intense than he seemed! And the old man? He just wanted to finish.

On the morning of the sixth day as the first runner, a young 39 year old man crossed the finish line, there were cheers and smiles, and hugs from his wife and children. The second place man came to the same reception about an hour later. While still up in the mountains, the old man was battling against stomach cramps and an aching knee that would just not stop hurting. Still he pressed on. 
As the end of the last day approached, he finally reached the city. It was about dark and he still had almost four miles to go and four hours left to do it. 
By now my cards had been put aside as I sat on the couch aching with hope that this man would make it. Then at the finish line, where a crowd was still gathered waiting for the last runner, someone announced "We see him! We see him!" Slowly he came down the last stretch to the finish line banner where he reached up and grabbed a hold of it as he wept. I nearly wept too as his wife and daughter embraced his gaunt little frame. 

I learned a lot from watching this strange event, the depth of man's God given power to choose, the parallel of this journey to my own, and a glimpse of heaven in that old man's tear stained face as he reached the finish line.

To finish. To finish the race, was his prize. 

This show reminded me that I run this spiritual race with the same desire. This may seem like a small prize, but in 1 Corinthians 9 Paul didn't assume that it was in the bag when he said:

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
1 Corinthians 9:27

Heaven promises me a lot of things someday, but that's not why I run. My driving goal is to finish.
But finishing, is not just that one glorious moment at the end of my days. No, I feel the honor of finishing, everyday I choose to keep running. When I choose to keep running through the frightening elements that barrage me on the exposed mountainside. When I choose to keep running through the fatigue that beckons me to lay down. When I choose to keep running through the pain that overwhelms me.

To finish.
To finish the race is my prize.
Still I do not run this race alone.

Unlike the man I watched in the race on TV, I have Someone who runs with me. He was the first one to finish the race, so that I could one day run it. And He runs it again, showing me that to finish... is to run every step of the journey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But at Midnight...

Was it Worth it?

The Secret Lies with Charlotte