Lessons from a Whale

 

Recently I was doing some research about why whales beach themselves. For those who are not familiar with the term beaching whale, this is when a whale or group of whales go to shore and then get stranded out of the water. Why do they do this?

The Fish and Wildlife Foundation of Florida says:
"The beaching of a single, live animal is usually the result of sickness or injury. Bad weather, old age, navigation errors, and hunting too close to shore also contribute to beachings."

Before this research I would have thought a whale cannot be out of the water because they need to be wet. And I would be partially correct, but another factor I learned about is their weight. In water they do not have to bear their weight, but on land their weight actually crushes their organs. 

They were created to live their entire lives in the ocean. They were not structurally designed to bear their own weight.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
Matthew 11:28

How often to I feel like I am being crushed under the weight of this life? The things that need to be done, the questions without answer, the unknowns, the what if's? All the things I catch myself worry over. 

After I was diagnosed with chronic disease, I learned that one of the biggest aggravators of the condition was stress and anxiety. I gained a new mentality about stress and worry. No longer was it something I "shouldn't" do, it was something I "can't" do. I have to say this perspective worked quite well in those early days. It was my sharp reminder that I had to take everything to the Lord. 

Fortunately, my health improved and I was able to bring back more activities and responsibilities. Unfortunately, "can't" got lost in the chaos of life's demands and I found myself lying awake at night worrying. Like a whale getting to close to shore the weight of life began to press down upon me. 

We know a whale doesn't belong on shore, but where do they belong? 

The I "can't" approach was a good no compromise position to take in my mind, but it was like swimming along the coast. I was fine until more pressures came along and then the shore was right there. 

Where do I really belong? 

Like the whales, I belong out swimming in the depths of the ocean, in the depths of God's love, promises, and nature. The Lord put it on my heart to start memorizing scripture. Not just reading it at night, but memorizing it. They say you remember 100% of what you memorize. 

One night I lay in bed worrying, feeling as helpless as a beaching whale when I remembered Psalm 27 the chapter I had been memorizing. Quoting those scriptures was the last thing I felt like doing but I began reciting. 

 - The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?

The words came out monotone and bland but I kept repeating them.

 - The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?

Over and over again I spoke those verses. 

 - When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell.

By about the third the time around I finally began to hear what I was saying...

The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

When the wicked came against me To eat up my flesh,
My enemies and foes, They stumbled and fell.

Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear;
Though war may rise against me, In this I will be confident.

One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple.

For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.

And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me;
Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.

Worry is not just something I "shouldn't" do, or "can't" do, it is something I do not need to do. And when I am daily swimming in the depths of who God is, in the depths of Word, I am daily reminded of "why" I do not need to worry. 

Now you may say, I am not good at memorization or I do not know very many verses. Do you know one? Let's say you know John 3:16. But how is John 3:16, a verse about salvation, going to help me if I'm worry about my finances? Let's take a look!

 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.

God loves you so much that He provided for your greatest need through the death of His Son on the cross. He provided for your forgiveness and restoration to Him that will last for all eternity. I believe a God who loves us that much can provide for our temporary needs right here. 

See! If all you know is one verse, than say that verse over and over again until you start to hear it. Let's stop trying to not beach ourselves and just swim out to sea! 

Dear Father, may You grant us the ability to memorize Your word. That it would become a part of our being, the foundation we think from, and the perspective we look at life through. May the worries we once had become ridiculous to us in light of Your nature and love for us. In Jesus Christ' name, amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Lies with Charlotte

Mini Golf Mercies and Bowling Bumpers

Was it Worth it?