A Song in the Night

 

Do you ever wakeup with a song playing through your head?

Last night I woke up to my dog rustling around in her crate. She had a GI issue that started last week (long story) that she's still recovering from. So, I lay there and listened for a minute to see if she'd settle. When she didn't I turned on the light to find she'd had a poopy accident and was trying to bury it in the blankets. 

While I cleaned out her crate and then cleaned her off there was a song playing through my head. Still, it wasn't until I had put Marlo back to bed and was finishing up the rest of the cleaning that I could actually pay enough attention to find out what song it was. 

When I wake up with a song in my head it's rarely the entire song, but usually just one line. Last night it was...

"My God will bring what's dead to life."  

Now what this repetitive line had to do with cleaning up dog poop I wasn't really sure. I said something to this effect to the Lord and He added...

And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his [Abraham] own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb.
Romans 4:19

That didn't exactly clear things up. There are some things in my life that seem to have a bit of "deadness". Perhaps this was just a middle of the night pat on the back encouraging me to hang in there? 

I looked up Romans 4:19 and read the whole section 4:13-25 to see the context of the situation in case there was something there I wasn't remembering. Verse 17 jumped out at me.

...God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;
Romans 4:17

Have you ever had God "call those things which do not exist as though they did" in your life? Like with Abraham, it's a powerful yet very special and tender moment with God. He's allowing us to see something He's going to do before it takes place.

Unfortunately, if you're like me, after this tender moment you come back to your present life and consider the "deadness of Sarah's womb" aka your circumstances. As a problem solver I tend to look around and think this is never going to work. So, I come up with a plan! Now I'm not out to try and do things on my own or apart from God's will. I'm excited, I want to help! But when I bring my plans to the Lord and He starts pointing out all the problems with my plan I can find myself disheartened. 

...he did not consider... the deadness of Sarah's womb.

It says that Abraham did not even consider it. Strong's meaning of consider is: to observe fully. He did not look at it or add it into his thought process. The same is true for us. We don't have to consider the deadness of our circumstances. Believe me, I know that's easier said than done. But when we can grasp the simplicity of it, we can find the freedom in it. It's not our responsibility to bring to pass the promises of God. All we have to do is choose to believe, and then the Holy Spirit can believe through us.

Dear Father, may you touch our hearts and change our perspectives. May we consider You (observe You fully) and not consider the deadness of our circumstances. That we may walk in the example of Abraham as Your word declares:
 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. (Romans 4:20-21) We praise You and thank You, that You will bring what's dead to life in our lives, as You have promised. In Jesus Christ' name, amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Lies with Charlotte

Mini Golf Mercies and Bowling Bumpers

Was it Worth it?